edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Sizes of inline logos in eduGAIN metadata

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Sizes of inline logos in eduGAIN metadata

  • From: Alan Buxey <alan.buxey AT myunidays.com>
  • To: "Cantor, Scott" <cantor.2 AT osu.edu>
  • Cc: Lukas Hämmerle <lukas.haemmerle AT switch.ch>, "edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org" <edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Sizes of inline logos in eduGAIN metadata
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 16:50:09 +0000

hi,

> I think people need to stop running on pocket calculators and they'll find
> the results really aren't that bad. Embedded systems are one thing, but
> nobody should be running a server in 2020 with 4GB of RAM and if they do,
> there are workarounds they can use to offload processing to other tools.

it's probably because the way systems operate is changing - people
moving from big iron in their own data-centres to eg
hosted/managed service in the cloud...where, for example, you have
Docker/Kubernetes/Fargate etc services and
those instances are eg 1Gb/2Gb of RAM - and getting much more
expensive to run if eg moving to 16GB offerings

these services are often configured as single core (once again,
costings) -but as you say, that doesn't matter.

alan