edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Sizes of inline logos in eduGAIN metadata

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Sizes of inline logos in eduGAIN metadata

  • From: Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Sizes of inline logos in eduGAIN metadata
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 19:06:38 +0100

* Ian Young <ian AT iay.org.uk> [2020-03-10 19:00]:
> > On 2020-03-10, at 17:37, Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at> wrote:
> > Do we need an amendment of the MDUI spec before we start
> > allowing/promoting/demanding SVG logos at scale?
>
> I don't think there's anything in the MDUI spec that precludes the
> use of SVG.

I was specifically referring to the RFC 2119-SHOULD for PNG (or GIF):

> In order to facilitate the usage of logos within a user interface,
> logos SHOULD: [...]
> use PNG, or GIF (less preferred), images

I don't violate those requirements without good reason, as one, ehm, SHOULD.
;)

> Seem as if use of SVG would be a question for national and/or eduGAIN
> profiles.

By us all agreeing that the SHOULD from the spec should be ignored?

It's the most likely outcome, sure, given that MDUI was only recently
promoted to full OASIS Standard.

-peter