edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] [edugain-support-team] Sizes of inline logos in eduGAIN metadata

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] [edugain-support-team] Sizes of inline logos in eduGAIN metadata

  • From: Ian Young <ian AT iay.org.uk>
  • To: Davide Vaghetti <davide.vaghetti AT garr.it>
  • Cc: edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] [edugain-support-team] Sizes of inline logos in eduGAIN metadata
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 18:09:30 +0000
  • Feedback-id: 217.155.173.110

> On 2020-03-10, at 16:21, Davide Vaghetti <davide.vaghetti AT garr.it> wrote:
>
> And just for information: Ian's writing an import filter for the UK
> federation to discard logos above a threshold. We've yet to discuss what
> the threshold is (could be 40kB, maybe 100kB). When we do that, I presume
> the modified entries will show as WARN messages in the UK federation
> metadata import logs at
> https://www.ukfederation.org.uk/fed/edugain-import-log-with-diff.txt

That's the idea. Here's an example (based on thresholds that were chosen to
illustrate both messages we're considering issuing and are not proposals in
themselves):

[java] WARN - Item https://you.know.which.one/ was marked with the following
Warning status messages
[java] WARN - strip_mdui_logo_length: removed mdui:Logo with long
contents: 145994 > 80000
[java] WARN - strip_mdui_logo_length: removed mdui:Logo with long
contents: 161018 > 80000
[java] WARN - strip_mdui_logo_length: removed mdui:Logo with long
contents: 159718 > 80000
[java] WARN - check_mdui_logo_length: mdui:Logo has long contents: 79626
> 50000
[java] WARN - check_mdui_logo_length: mdui:Logo has long contents: 78710
> 50000

I hope that's self-explanatory. The two thresholds allow us to indicate
concern at one level, enforce a higher one, and give feedback about both. We
might have separate thresholds any time we're thinking of moving the
enforcement threshold downwards.

Note that the proposal is that --- unlike everything else currently in that
daily report --- these are warnings, and affected entities won't be removed
from the UKf aggregate unless they *also* trip an ERROR status for some other
reason.

-- Ian