edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] reference for expired certificate warning

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] reference for expired certificate warning

  • From: Nick Roy <nroy AT internet2.edu>
  • To: Leif Johansson <leifj AT sunet.se>
  • Cc: Warda Al Habsi <warda AT omren.om>, "edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org" <edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] reference for expired certificate warning
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 16:17:58 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=internet2.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=internet2.edu; dkim=pass header.d=internet2.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=RnW5rXHSM3db8YPnoiVCQmm8jkp+qM8Ux+LLu8wiZA0=; b=KbT0Hv6Bvk9CKBP+O9sQVBptZWdXIuUB/Ne5De7QYqRKipQ3J77kE9s3OOIa1lPo+ho8zN6HpzbkBswGeThLr92mdvtsknXbJDb5P0QJxTrpmq/OnGucfszBy0dG/57ilkkfcVifCLXxvgPjhr/kCxntHD0cuiV9XQE8clFXjY3BhttrHg8iRu/ykxFJnWsL8jG8LEnUVHsKbyo8auo2aORubQDkZYdufZ6htUc+T8UEXrA5MrCADyyy21kbwp0w2NfUtwfuNrOZ2EY0XZqdFlqwVYQ47JqoBaUqv/pkysyEdNYLUiU83JLbuC5ekdTfhtq1sD4vc3eaQvXmpZ6L+Q==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=Q6HP8O/bLUyun+5GEDYwMfLoaGSJHaj1rvUMJ9ks6/9A0aEhke0m9wt3sMJVENXH0tm4zM2UWxgb84Wu2WAbCt95qRF+dvTuF2bxoN0Oyji4BaSGzG+/AP/XakeQpFYWdrYHUzakpmzuk5HZbyPITWGqP/+dyIvdM7e1CRifg0ymznGk13ftHhh4A7H9OaiPuzHhVsCL2r4Qdeun7hUIaECWGiUp7nJCFRe+s/UkcBaYFRLLF3KV+fwDir4f8leqIk/pJjdYin1WuBCLYscuLcDOcTvneZJvK3cFfSY0u4jSYjuNxLlqneS45iskwV75XNV6/o+qg1nTHBfC0mBupA==

Let me tell you a couple stories that will explain my reaction to ADFS, at
least in part.

I received an escalated helpdesk ticket from someone who said they were
contractually obligated to join InCommon and publish an IdP in metadata
within the next several days. They wanted someone to help them submit
metadata. After an initial call, I determined that they needed to install
ADFSToolkit. I told them I’d walk them through it, even though I had never
done it before. We got on another screen sharing session, and after a few
fits and starts, we had it configured to load InCommon’s main metadata
aggregate. When the security officer for that organization, who was on the
call, saw the powershell messages about configuring trust for every SP in the
metadata, that person said something to the effect of, "wait, what’s it
doing?!?"

Turns out, they had not talked internally about what it meant join InCommon
and participate in federation. So, they killed the load half way through
processing metadata and told me they would talk internally and figure out how
to get rid of all the trusts that ADFSToolkit had added, and then just add
the one SP they cared about. Between responding to emails, reading
documentation and doing video conferences, I probably spent 8 hours helping
this organization, which will likely only ever federate with a single SP (so
should it even be in a federation?). This is a typical and all too frequent
engagement with ADFS.

Story two: An ADFS deployer called our security emergency hotline at 4:30
p.m. on a Friday afternoon, left a voicemail saying their IdP stopped working
and asking for an emergency metadata resigning. I tried to call them back,
but got no answer to repeated calls. I sent them email. After getting no
response, I started looking at their recent metadata history. From what I
could tell, they had tried to do an emergency key rollover themselves,
without reading our documentation, because ADFS had helpfully auto-rolled
their SAML keys. I never got a response to my call-backs or email. This type
of emergency engagement effectively never happens with Shibboleth or
SimpleSAMLphp. Our community produces software that works for our use cases,
that we know how to support, and that we offer training on.

Nick