edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] reference for expired certificate warning

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] reference for expired certificate warning

  • From: Leif Johansson <leifj AT sunet.se>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] reference for expired certificate warning
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 11:34:19 +0100

On 2019-11-20 09:50, Peter Schober wrote:
> * Nick Roy <nroy AT internet2.edu> [2019-11-20 00:03]:
>> Perhaps counterproductively adding to my rant below: ADFS is
>> terrible, but works just well enough to lull people into the belief
>> that it won’t screw everything up, as it invariably does, down the
>> road. I spend at least 80% of my direct-end-user-contact time
>> coaching people with ADFS problems. ADFS *should not be used* in the
>> context of R&E federations, nor should other similar software. This
>> is a real problem that I don’t know how to address in our context,
>> but the problem is getting worse every day.
>
> Thank you for your very clear words in this regard.
>
> Maybe this should be made known more widely? Open to ideas how that
> would work. A REFEDS blog post? A disclaimer message to be relayed by
> (Full Mesh) federations?
> I'll start by quoting your post above in our documentation.
>
> At this time we only have a single MS-ADFS entity registered, so my
> communication has been pretty clear and seemingly was effective so
> far. That one entity could end up being used a lot more, though,
> through services proxied behind its SP-side...
>
> -peter

While I tend to agree the pain is mostly localized to those that
choose to sniff this particular sock. The organizations who run
ADFS do that for reasons that will not be influenced by what
REFEDS say.

We may be able to get MSFT to improve things... I have had some
chats with their new head of identity (or whatever the title is)
Pamela Dingle who at least make the right noices. I know this is
not the first time somebody said this too.

Possibly a statement from REFEDS if wielded in a smart way may
serve to make things a bit more concrete.

Cheers Leif