rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] automatic updates

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] automatic updates

  • From: Alexander Gall <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] automatic updates
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:17:55 +0200

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 10:20:06 +0200, mc36 <> said:

> hi,
> thanks... i'll execute this as part of my regular weekend routine...
> yeahh, i already depolyed the new one at par0001 running the latest nix
> builds already...
> now i'll play a bit with the nix way of upgrade if you don't mind....
> i see in release-manager/activation.sh that you stop then restart the
> service...

Yes, but the activation is only done when switching profiles, either
with --switch-generation or --auto-switch

> imho you're having a good reason to do so, but, since we'll call it from
> the service itself, it never reaches the reactivation part...
> i'll add a small daemonRun.bin too to overcome this... or any better idea?

tna-upgrade should not use --auto-switch. I think the right way is to
use tna-upgrade without it, then perform a warm (or is it cold?) start
of freerouter. The ExecStopPost action of the systemd unit should
then check for the proper exit status and perform the "release-manager
--switch-generation". This also performs a systemd action from within
a running service, so I'm not entirely sure whether that works as
intended. I didn't try this out yet.

Another option would be to run the entire "--install-git
--auto-switch" command from the ExecStopPost script, i.e. not use
tna-upfrade at all.

--
Alex