rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] automatic updates

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] automatic updates

  • From: Alexander Gall <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] automatic updates
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 17:22:13 +0200

Hi

On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 16:39:44 +0200, mc36 <> said:

> On 3/30/22 16:09, Alexander Gall wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 10:42:25 +0200, mc36 <> said:
>>
>>> here we goo:
>>> https://github.com/mc36/freeRouter/commit/ddc19c52c5003bb763294351572282b7b18325b8
>>
>>> also update freertr.net/release.sh to use the feature... this is how it
>>> looks like:
>>> https://github.com/mc36/freeRouter/commit/b34a5fec97763c88e74fe4a7112645f03c9c6736
>>
>> Thank you, much appreciated :) What does "todo" and "no todo" mean,
>> exactly? And for which commits is this information generated?
>>
> so every time i update the
> https://github.com/mc36/freeRouter/blob/master/todo.txt
> (or introduce a new test case in
> https://github.com/mc36/freeRouter/tree/master/cfg)
> ((or a previous test case failed or passed again))
> and execute a ./t* script then the tester finally updates
> the https://github.com/mc36/freeRouter/blob/master/changelog.txt
> plus saves the current state to
> https://github.com/mc36/freeRouter/blob/master/src/rtr.ftr
> from this latter, it can know on the next run that what changed....
> right now the todo: is when a new line appeared in the todo.txt,
> when one get removed then a no todo: will appear,
> and if something happened to the test cases then a (no) qc pass:
> will be omitted... if none of these happened, then the changelog
> will be kept intact, so no commit message will be there...

Thanks for the details. So, when something disappears from todo, it
always means that the thing was implemented? How do you distinguish
that from the case when you decide not to implement something that was
on the todo list? Maybe the difference is that there will be no test
case?

>> It would also be nice if commits that have this information could be
>> identfied by the first line of the message. Right now, all commits
>> appear as "automatic commit at releng box" in the list at
>> https://github.com/mc36/freeRouter/commits/master. This makes it hard
>> to find the interesting ones.
>>
>> I ask because I guess if I try to create a list of all changes in
>> freertr from one RARE release to the next (to put in the RARE release
>> notes) I'll have look at all the intermediate commits since the last
>> release.
>>

> so since all this what i do with the commit message is just some text
> magic, what if i know a better way to get the list for you:

> mc36@safe:/data.pub/src$
> mc36@safe:/data.pub/src$
> mc36@safe:/data.pub/src$ java -jar rtr.jar test changelog since 2022-03-20

That would be ok for me. The problem is a bit that the messages are
very terse and I'm afraid that I won't understand what they mean in
many cases. For example, I have no idea what to make of

disableable door code in temper

or

lsrp pvrp forbid remote dynamic metric

It would also not make sense to copy this to the release notes
verbatim. I'm still wondering how we can turn this into somehting
that's useful for non-hardcore freeRtr hackers (of which there is a
fairly small number close to one ;)

We don't have to document every single change either. I'm looking more
for a compact description of major changes so users have at least
enough information to deceide whether it is something that could
concern them or not.

--
Alex