edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

  • From: Nicole Harris <harris AT terena.org>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 15:49:38 +0000

On 28/11/2014 15:01, Tom Scavo wrote:

> A question for other responders: I'm not getting the connection to
> Research & Scholarship. AFAIK there is nothing in the spec to restrict
> an arbitrary IdP from self-declaring its support for R&S. Am I missing
> something?
There are many different issues are being addressed here so the
conversation is a little confused. Using R&S answers the question that
CLARIN are struggling to get IdPs to release attributes to them and
provides a possible solution.

It doesn't answer the question "how do I define what an academic
organiation is". I'm not sure this is solvable, although it is
interesting.
It doesn't answer the question "how can I make sure that every academic
in the world is connected to me". I'm pretty sure that definitely isn't
possible.

It is tackling the problem from a different angle - declare the SP a
worthy R&S resource and hopefully it will attract the right customers
with the right attributes.

--
Nicole Harris
Project Development Officer