edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?

  • From: Wolfgang Pempe <pempe AT dfn.de>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 22:59:08 +0200

Hi,

Am 03.07.2015 um 10:12 schrieb Nicole Harris:
Hi Niels

Whoever is the registration authority for that metadata is assumed to be
the registrar for the R&S tag - ergo you shouldn't add a tagged service
to edugain unless you as a federation have added the tag. I'm not sure
which CLARIN SP you were looking at but this is quite useful:
https://technical.edugain.org/entities4.php. It seems the answer is DFN
for most of the CLARIN resources at the moment.

just to avoid any misunderstandings: When registering new (e.g. CLARIN) entities with our federation (DFN-AAI), we don't care for already existing entity attributes. All (CLARIN) SPs have to apply separately for the R&S category by checking a checkbox in our metadata admin tool. At least from our point of view, the CLARIN SPF is primarily a legal construct (Dieter calls it a 'legal proxy') which enables the CLARIN ERIC to register project SPs with the relevant federations in place of the project partners. For this purpose, the CLARIN ERIC has signed an SP agreement with the DFN. We use the CLARIN metadata aggregat(es) only as a technical resource for registering their SPs with our federation md (already populated mdui elements). It's not (used as) a downstream like the eduGAIN metadata.

Best,
Wolfgang

Hope that helps