edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?

  • From: Tom Scavo <trscavo AT internet2.edu>
  • To: Niels van Dijk <niels.vandijk AT surfnet.nl>
  • Cc: "edugain-discuss AT geant.net" <edugain-discuss AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 05:03:36 -0400

On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 4:49 AM, Niels van Dijk <niels.vandijk AT surfnet.nl>
wrote:

> Could we imagine eduGAIN itself being the registrar?

I can't imagine this, no.

If eduGAIN itself publishes metadata, and it does so according to its
own policies and procedures, then eduGAIN itself will have to do at
least the following:

1) assign itself a registrar ID
2) publish a Metadata Registration Practice Statement
3) publish a link to its export aggregate

and so forth. In other words, eduGAIN itself would become a
federation, which seems to me to be a potential conflict of interest.
In particular, how will eduGAIN itself be able to sign the eduGAIN
participation agreement? How could that possibly have any meaning?

Tom