edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?

  • From: Ian Young <ian AT iay.org.uk>
  • To: Tom Scavo <trscavo AT internet2.edu>
  • Cc: "edugain-discuss AT geant.net" <edugain-discuss AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 10:47:14 +0100

> On 3 Jul 2015, at 10:29, Tom Scavo <trscavo AT internet2.edu> wrote:
>
> I would feel uncomfortable if the entity I trusted to aggregate
> federation metadata was also injecting its own metadata into the
> aggregate.

I think I know what you mean, but it's hard to explain. After all, what
you've written above describes the relationship the UK federation has with
its own members: we aggregate metadata from elsewhere, while also injecting
metadata we have registered ourselves.

I have for a long time tried to separate the different functions
(registration, aggregation, publication) fairly explicitly so I don't have a
personal problem composing them in different ways as long as the concerns of
each part are clearly expressed. It hasn't proved to be a persuasive view,
however.

-- Ian