edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?

  • From: Nicole Harris <nicole.harris AT geant.org>
  • To: Niels van Dijk <niels.vandijk AT surfnet.nl>, <edugain-discuss AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 10:01:24 +0100

On 03/07/2015 09:49, Niels van Dijk wrote:
> On 03-07-15 10:12, Nicole Harris wrote:
> > Hi Niels
>
> > Whoever is the registration authority for that metadata is assumed
> > to be the registrar for the R&S tag - ergo you shouldn't add a
> > tagged service to edugain unless you as a federation have added the
> > tag.
>
> Thanks for confirming my thoughts on this.
>
> Where/when would this assumption break? Could we imagine eduGAIN
> itself being the registrar?
This places a burden of effort onto the eduGAIN team which really isn't
resourced, but is technically feasible. The question is really do we
want eduGAIN to take on the role of registrar in any context.

> E.g. when an ERIC directly joins eduGAIN?
> What if it starts asserting R&S on its own SPs?
There are many many many issues with the concept of things joining
edGAIN "directly" and eduGAIN taking on the traditional role of
registrar that I hope the Enabling Users task will think about in it's
analysis of this area. It's not trivial or an easy a fix, despite
looking so.

> > I'm not sure which CLARIN SP you were looking at but this is quite
> > useful: https://technical.edugain.org/entities4.php. It seems the
> > answer is DFN for most of the CLARIN resources at the moment.
>
> Within eduGAIN this is a non issue indeed.
> However, CLARIN is also providing metadata with the context of their
> own federation, the "CLARIN Service Provider Federation". It is
> probably trivial to have the "CLARIN Service Provider Federation" be
> the registrar, but it feels a bit weird as, being an SP federation,
> that does not add an extra layer of trust, contrary to how R&S is used
> in e.g. eduGAIN.
Yes that adds complexity as it essentially breaks the balance test
(https://wiki.refeds.org/display/ENT/Guidance+on+justification+for+attribute+release)
by self-declaring rather than having the right checks in place..but I
think there are things we could do to support that with organisations
like CLARIN that we work with closely to help reduce that problem if it
became an issue.