edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?

  • From: Niels van Dijk <niels.vandijk AT surfnet.nl>
  • To: Nicole Harris <nicole.harris AT geant.org>, edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 10:49:10 +0200

On 03-07-15 10:12, Nicole Harris wrote:
> Hi Niels
>
> Whoever is the registration authority for that metadata is assumed
> to be the registrar for the R&S tag - ergo you shouldn't add a
> tagged service to edugain unless you as a federation have added the
> tag.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on this.

Where/when would this assumption break? Could we imagine eduGAIN
itself being the registrar? E.g. when an ERIC directly joins eduGAIN?
What if it starts asserting R&S on its own SPs?

> I'm not sure which CLARIN SP you were looking at but this is quite
> useful: https://technical.edugain.org/entities4.php. It seems the
> answer is DFN for most of the CLARIN resources at the moment.

Within eduGAIN this is a non issue indeed.
However, CLARIN is also providing metadata with the context of their
own federation, the "CLARIN Service Provider Federation". It is
probably trivial to have the "CLARIN Service Provider Federation" be
the registrar, but it feels a bit weird as, being an SP federation,
that does not add an extra layer of trust, contrary to how R&S is used
in e.g. eduGAIN.

Cheers,
Niels

> Hope that helps

> On 03/07/2015 08:40, Niels van Dijk wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This may sound a bit academic, but who is the R&S 'registrar' in
>> eduGAIN? I know we are all assuming it to be the Federations (at
>> least thats is what I think), but I note there is nothing in
>> either R&S (rightfully so) or in eduGAIN that states this is the
>> case.
>>
>> The reason I ask is that I am now looking at CLARIN Service
>> Provider Federation metadata where they state their SP to be R&S,
>> and I realized there is no agreement in that federation on who is
>> the registrar either.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Niels
>>

> -- Nicole Harris PROJECT DEVELOPMENT OFFICER GÉANT - Amsterdam
> Office M: +31 (0) 646105395 Skype: harrisnv
>
> Networks • Services • People
>
> Learn more at www.geant.org​

- --

Please note:
On January 1st, 2015 SURFnet moved to a new office.
New Visiting address: Kantoren Hoog Overborch (Hoog Catharijne)
Moreelsepark 48, 3511 EP Utrecht
Postal address: PO Box 19035, 3501 DA Utrecht
New Telephone: +31 88-7873000