edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?

  • From: Ian Young <ian AT iay.org.uk>
  • To: Niels van Dijk <niels.vandijk AT surfnet.nl>
  • Cc: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Who is the registrar for R&S in eduGAIN?
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 10:18:32 +0100

> On 3 Jul 2015, at 09:49, Niels van Dijk <niels.vandijk AT surfnet.nl> wrote:
>
> Could we imagine eduGAIN itself being the registrar?

This would be a significant change to the model; I'm skeptical.

> E.g. when an ERIC directly joins eduGAIN?

I'd choose to interpret that question differently than proposing a case where
eduGAIN was the registrar.

If the CLARIN federation was run along similar lines to the way we expect
other eduGAIN participant federations to be run (in terms of policies,
procedures, metadata handling and the like) then I don't think there would be
any problem in principle with the CLARIN ERIC joining eduGAIN. As Tom says,
that would involve them providing and following a MDRPS, a signed feed, etc.

> What if it starts asserting R&S on its own SPs?

If CLARIN became a participating federation, with all the burdens that
implies, they would of course be able to go through the same process as the
rest of us do when validating an entity as a member of the R&S category and
label it as such.

-- Ian