edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

  • From: Leif Johansson <leifj AT sunet.se>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 14:12:00 +0100
  • Vbr-info: md=sunet.se; mc=all; mv=swamid.se

> THIS is the crux that I see very clearly. We can discuss here until we are
> blue in the face and even if we reach an agreement it will not fly. What we
> need is an understanding of a proper process that is a bit more binding
> than the present one. We (as a society) managed to do that with driver's
> licenses, passports, air port security even mobile chargers and GSM. We can
> land on comets. I will not accept that this problem here is unsolvable. If
> eduGAIN is not the right place to solve it, what other place could it be?

These problems are hard but far from unsolvable.

However I don't think you seriously believe there is a way to create a
forum where "binding" policy affecting Universities in 100 countries can
be created by NRENs if there isn't an underlying understanding of
the business realities of the higher education environment today.

Cheers Leif