edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 14:02:20 +0100

Hi,
I started wondering why we have this discussion, except because it is
an interesting topic. We are trying to solve a use case which, as far as
I can recall has not been defined. I would really be interested in what
motivates the given SP to limit its service to a loosely defined group
of users. What would this SP loose by opening itself to the entire human
population? There is IPR, of course, but this is separate from access.
I have a feeling that the only argument is that "true researches" i.e.
those from universities (state funded if possible) are people like us,
therefore good, the rest not quite so good, but this distinction is
hardly going to fly I think.

Tomasz

--
Tomasz Wolniewicz
twoln AT umk.pl http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uczelniane Centrum Informatyczne Information&Communication Technology Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750 fax: +48-56-622-1850 tel kom.: +48-693-032-576