edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

  • From: Martin Matthiesen <martin.matthiesen AT csc.fi>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 15:11:08 +0200 (EET)

Hello,
----- Original Message -----

The original problem was that eduGAIN has commercial IdPs in their ranks and
what to do about that. It evolved to a discussion about attribute semantics,
specifically EPA.

> I would really be interested in what
> motivates the given SP to limit its service to a loosely defined group
> of users. What would this SP loose by opening itself to the entire human
> population?

I this case it is about a newspaper text corpus from a major publisher in
Finland that is easier to make available to academics only than to the
general population. IPR is connected to access here. Free for all would
either not have been possible or expensive.

[...]

Martin