edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

  • From: Martin Matthiesen <martin.matthiesen AT csc.fi>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 13:47:22 +0200 (EET)

Hello,

> * Martin Matthiesen <martin.matthiesen AT csc.fi> [2014-12-01 12:19]:
>> "employee" vs "student" as the lowest common denominator would
>> certainly work for me, if "employee" is only given to academic staff
>> and thus would be compatible with Clarin ACA.
>
> That's precicely what you cannot do, give "employee" a new meaning to
> mean you want it to.

I meant employee = staff + faculty. And this is the meaning Swamid is using,
Leif may correct me here.

> (And "academic staff" sounds like a contradiction in terms to me.)

Sorry for the sloppy use of "staff", being a controlled word. So I could see
it working that (according to Swamid [1]) professors, lecturers and
researchers (="faculty") as well as other personnel of the educational
institution (="staff") would be eligible to access a "Clarin ACA" resource.

And of course I (by myself) cannot give any attribute a new meaning, but
since a lot of organisations have already done so, I'd rather clarify the
meaning of existing attributes (even risking that some organisation needs to
do a search and replace) than putting new attributes into the mix that might
or might not be in use in 5 years from now by 30% of IdPs. Here I assume that
we all benefit from lesser complexity.

Martin

[1] https://portal.nordu.net/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=31197805