edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

  • From: Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>
  • To: "edugain-discuss AT geant.net" <edugain-discuss AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 12:22:11 +0100

* Rhys Smith <Smith AT cardiff.ac.uk> [2014-12-01 11:57]:
> >> UK IdPs will be pretty much exclusively using member / staff /
> >> student.
> >
> > That does doesn't make use of "staff" more consistent and
> > interoperable internationally.
>
> Not sure I can parse "does doesn't" :-).

s/does //

Sorry.

> But don't get me wrong, not suggesting it's the "right" answer, it's
> just what the situation is (still, 5 years later) on the ground over
> here.

Sure. In .at we seem to have started out following the UK example,
with staff being the shared and only commonly used value for "active
non-students" (employee, staff, faculty).
Only recently some institutions have started to use 'staff' only for
administrative personnel here (not teaching, not researching) and
'faculty' for those who teach or do research.
So we'll be moving towards a more interoperable use of ePA values in
the coming years, I'm hoping.
-peter