edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

  • From: Leif Johansson <leifj AT sunet.se>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 10:53:59 +0100
  • Vbr-info: md=sunet.se; mc=all; mv=swamid.se

On 12/01/2014 10:17 AM, Martin Matthiesen wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just joined this list, my name is Martin Matthiesen and I am currently
> co-ordinating the Clarin AAI Taskforce, where we try to tackle AAI
> interoperability within Clarin.

Based on conversations with other research projects I'm not sure Clarin
is representative in this view. For instance there is significant
interest in unitedid (because it offers 2 factor authn) even though
the proofing level is low.

> Clarin does have a use case for resources that are automatically open to
> academics, Clarin ACA (www.clarin.eu/content/license-categories). This
> category is implemented in Fin-Clarin for a newspaper corpus (HS.fi,
> https://korp.csc.fi/#lang=en). It requires the eduPersonAffiliation
> attribute to be set to "faculty". I am not very familiar with eduGAIN
> legalese, but I would assume that non-academic IdPs are not allowed to set
> eduPerson*?

I'm not sure what you mean by "allowed" but I'm not sure its as simple
as that...

>> 2. Would be good to work with CLARIN a bit more to tease out a better
>> definition of their user / customer base...perhaps Lukas and I can look
>> at this with Dieter and Jozef through the Enabling Users work?
>
> I'd be happy to join in as well.
>
>> 3. Some work looking at scopes around "academic" roles, which could fit
>> in with the SCHAC / MACE work that has been proposed.
>
> I had two foreign users from Sweden and Norway trying to access the "HS.fi"
> text corpus mentioned above and both professors could not get access
> because their EPA attributes were lacking the "faculty" attribute,
> otherwise clearly required by Feide and Swamid. This was corrected in one
> case and the user got access. My argument against another EC is also
> practical: It will take a long time to get the definition right and then an
> even longer time until all IdPs have implemented it. And as said above, I
> don't see the use case.

That is wrong. SWAMID and Feide do not require 'faculty' and furthermore
that notion (faculty) has no meaning in the Scandinavian academic
tradition and is almost never defined.

Studies have shown (and experience bears this out) that only employee
and student are universally deployed.

Cheers Leif