edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

  • From: Martin Matthiesen <martin.matthiesen AT csc.fi>
  • To: Leif Johansson <leifj AT sunet.se>
  • Cc: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 14:42:45 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

Risking boring everyone else do death:

----- Original Message -----

[...]
> The terms faculty & staff have no meaning in the Swedish university
> tradition that makes that equation meaningful.
>
> *If* it were a UK university then *maybe* it would be true but there are
> certainly employees at Swedish university that are neither staff nor

Not to mention other countries. It would be nice to at least have a country
wide agreement on the semantics. And the Swedish one seems boiled down enough
that most countries should be able to agree on the semantics? It seems UK
uses "employee" where other use "staff", but it also uses "faculty", thus I
could define: Clarin ACA == (EPA == "faculty" if used by federation, like
UK), (EPA == "employee", otherwise). (EPA=="faculty" will grant ACA access in
any case.) I am trying to slice the elephant here...

> faculty in the classical sense and some of them may legitimately
> qualify for access to Clarin resources but probably not all.

Ok, this is how I understood it. And here I use "eduPerson*" as hint that I
deal with an academic institution. I still don't see the use case for an EC.
And as long as the licensee for a Clarin ACA resource also understands the
slight uncertainty, I see no problem.

[...]

Martin