edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

  • From: Martin Matthiesen <martin.matthiesen AT csc.fi>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 10:07:52 +0200 (EET)

Hello,

I'd like to sum up this discussion, I guess we have exhausted the usefulness
of email here. So I shall stay silent after this unless asked directly.

Jozef originally asked how to differentiate academic and non-academic IdPs.
The idea of an entity catergory came up. Someone asked for a concrete use
case and I presented the case of Clarin ACA
(http://www.clarin.eu/content/license-categories). Currently in use at
korp.csc.fi, where eduPersonAffiliation == faculty grants ACA access to a
newspaper text corpus (HS.fi).

It has been known that EPA is not harmonised (Cormack & Linden: [1]). It
seems the use of eduPerson* is also not restricted to academic institutions.
Harmonised semantics have been requested for a long time, consider FIM4R
(Kelsey 2012: [2], Kelsey 2013: [3], Wartel 2014).

Suggestions made, whether daring (harmonise!) or pragmatic (I make mappings)
were met with he general sentiment: touching this is difficult, let's not
touch the existing, let's make new definitions on top of the existing.

I'd like to conclude with a metaphor: You built a road without defining on
what side the cars should drive. Now this needs to be defined and you say:
prefer the right to the left, you will probably be fine, in most cases. But
don't quote us on that, if you have an accident, it's your own fault. The
result will likely be that your road will not be used very much. I would like
to see some leadership here. Who, if not you, eduGAIN, can actually bring
about changes in this area?

Martin

P.S.: Sweden actually did change the side of the road in the 60s (even
against a popular vote), some wise folks foresaw that it would be much harder
with every year they waited. They did discuss it for 40 years, though [5].

[1] http://www.terena.org/activities/refeds/docs/ePSAcomparison_0_13.pdf

[2] http://www.terena.org/activities/vamp/ws1/slides/0609-kelsey-fim4r.pdf
[3] http://www.redclara.net/news/DV/DVFD/Presentaciones/David_Kelsey.pdf
[4]