cat-users - Re: [cat-users] problem detected with installer from cat.eduroam.org

Re: [cat-users] problem detected with installer from cat.eduroam.org

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Louis Twomey <louis.twomey AT heanet.ie>, cat-users AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] problem detected with installer from cat.eduroam.org
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 18:00:55 +0100

there's an odd story behind this particular intermediate CA that TCS uses.

The certificate used to be a self-signed root, with its home being the
Root CA Trust Store. At some point, the CA operators decided to re-issue
the certificate (same public key, same CN) but to sign it from a
different root, making it an intermediate, with no place at all in trust
stores.

We positively know that Mac OS / iOS machines which errorneously still
have the certificate as a self-signed root in their trust store refuse
to accept certificates which expect the same certificate as an
intermediate, even if all the crypto matches and the intermediate cert
comes in via EAP. As a particularly unlucky regression bug, the cert was
re-added at a later iOS when it was already gone earlier.

The solution for Mac / iOS (repeatedly posted on this list) is to
install the now-intermediate certificate in the end system config, i.e.
include it in your CAT setup. That way, the proper rooting to the other
root CA worked on those OSes.

I am not aware of Windows having the same issue; but I'm also not aware
of anyone (still?) having this certificate as a trusted root. It's been
a few years that the re-signing happened and the root version of the
cert is supposedly history.

You mention that the machines which have this cert as a root have it in
their Third-Party Trust Store. That would suggest it was indeed not
shipped in Windows, but "someone/something" added it at some point in
time. This could be an earlier eduroam installation dating back before
the re-signing event or something completely different.

In that case, deleting the root cert from the Third-Party trust would be
a per-machine remedy. You could also double-check if your CAT config
includes this cert in its intermediate version, and if not, see if
adding it helps those machines form their trust chain.

In any event, it is very bad luck that the TCS chain was affected by
this. In theory, re-signing a cert is possible; and in theory, both the
self-signed trust root and the intermediate (with the new root
installed) should work just fine.

In practice, many TCS setups are borked by that :-(

Sorry for not having an exact timestamp on when that re-signing
happened. I'm not a TCS customer myself and didn't have to fight with
this back in the day. I only came across it when the iOS regression
issue hit this list.