cat-users - Re: [cat-users] problem detected with installer from cat.eduroam.org

Re: [cat-users] problem detected with installer from cat.eduroam.org

  • From: Louis Twomey <louis.twomey AT heanet.ie>
  • To: cat-users AT geant.net, stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] problem detected with installer from cat.eduroam.org
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 15:53:58 +0000

This is perhaps the same problem that I have encountered with Windows
7 and 8 machines locally.

I replaced our Radius server cert recently, both new and old certs
were from TCS, the new one is signed by "TERENA SSL CA 2". All
existing wireless supplicants handled the new cert without incident,
except for Windows 7 and 8 devices. They consistently failed on
certificate verification.

When I looked into it I discovered that the chaining on those Windows
devices was broken, they chained my cert as follows:

USERTrust RSA Certification Authority > TERENA SSL CA 2 >
eduroam-idp.heanet.ie

That "USERTrust RSA Certification Authority" is a root cert, so as
such the chain is complete but it doesn't match the chain the client
is configured to expect, which is:

AddTrust External CA Root > USERTrust RSA Certification Authority >
TERENA SSL CA 2 > eduroam-idp.heanet.ie

When I checked the local Windows certificate store on a problem
device, it had 2 certificates with the same name of "USERTrust RSA
Certification Authority", one is the root cert, the other is the
intermediate CA cert that TCS uses, it is choosing to chain via the
root one. Deleting or disabling the root USERTrust cert in the local
store solves the problem, the client chains correctly and server
validation succeeds.

So the issue is this extra(?) root cert, it exists on each of the 5
Windows laptops I have looked at here and they all chain to it. I
assume that either this root cert doesn't exist on *every* Windows
laptop, or perhaps is there but is not chained to on every such device
- - otherwise eduroam connectivity would, I presume, be failing for any
Windows device where the home site uses a cert signed by the new TCS
chain.

Does anyone else have that root cert in the Third-Party Root
Certificates store of their Windows device I wonder? These are the
details of the cert:

Version: V3
Serial number: 01 fd 6d 30 fc a3 ca 51 a8 1b bc 64 0e 35 03 2d
Signature algorithm: sha384RSA
Signature hash algorithm: sha384
Issuer: USERTrust RSA Certification Authority
Valid from: 01 February 2010 00:00:00
Valid to: 18 January 2038 23:59:59