cat-users - Re: [cat-users] problem detected with installer from cat.eduroam.org

Re: [cat-users] problem detected with installer from cat.eduroam.org

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: marcos gonzalez <marcos.gonzalez AT esci.upf.edu>, cat-users AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] problem detected with installer from cat.eduroam.org
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 12:59:07 +0100

Hi,

well, it would have helped more if you'd also send the server
certificate - then I could see for myself which of the intermediate CAs
signed the server cert.

But anyway, I think I know where the problem lies:

TERENASSLCA.crt is signed with SHA-1, and expires in 2020. Microsoft
enforces the phase-out of SHA-1 signatures for certificates with an
expiry in 2017+ since this year. My guess is that the (old) TERENA
Intermediate CA is rejected by Microsoft's TLS implementation, and that
your server certificate is issued by that old CA still.

In effect, the server cert validation would fail.

Funny enough, you also have the new TERENA Intermediate CA which is
signed with SHA-384 - which passes validation.

An obvious solution to the problem would then be to renew your server
certificate so that it gets issued from the new intermediate CA (or if
it already was, a re-issue may still be required because server
certificates were still signed with sha1 until early 2014, see below).

You must have missed the corresponding call for action on various TERENA
mailing lists, e.g. here:
https://www.terena.org/mail-archives/tf-emc2/msg02600.html

I wasn't aware that validation also fails for EAP authentication
purposes, the Microsoft Knowledge Base article wasn't totally clear on
that. With this evidence, it seems like this is the case.

Hm, CAT 1.1 will currently warn you if your cert is still MD5 signed,
but not if it's SHA-1 signed.

Could you please really send me your server cert; and verify if a
re-issue with sha256 or sha384 signature fixes the validation issue? If
so, we can trivially add another warning for version 1.1 which would
tell you that server or intermediate certs with SHA-1 aren't good any
more...

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche