cat-users - Re: [cat-users] problem detected with installer from cat.eduroam.org

Re: [cat-users] problem detected with installer from cat.eduroam.org

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: José Manuel Macías <jmanuel.macias AT rediris.es>, cat-users AT geant.net, marcos.gonzalez AT esci.upf.edu
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] problem detected with installer from cat.eduroam.org
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 13:21:47 +0100

Hi,

> just two comments... Stefan, please note that Marcos is from
> esci.upf.edu, not upf.edu (two different organizations).

Okay. Sorry for being confused :-)

> I explained Marcos that the SecureW2 installer is only used for Win
> XP, and it should'nt be used by default for win 7 and 8.x (if
> PEAP+MSCHAPv2 is selected as first option as is the case)... am I right?
>
> Of course you could use it in further windows versions too, but given
> the priority of methods allowed in the profile and their order (1.
> PEAP-MSCHAPv2, 2. TTLS-MSCHAPv2, 3. TTLS+PAP), I guess the installer
> for win 7 and win 8.1 is not based on SecureW2...

Yes, with that priority, Vista and above would not trigger SecureW2
installation.

And the built-in supplicant which is then used is of course bound to
Microsoft's built-in TLS validation routines... which are on the SHA-1
sunset crusade.

> Also I have to say, I checked this morning and the profile looked fine
> to me.

Maybe he is still sending the (superfluous) old TERENA intermediate CA
and Microsoft is (unrightfully) upset about that. Or he is missing the
second intermediate (IIRC) and the supplicants can't complete the chain.

Stefan

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche