rare-dev - [rare-dev] How to put two VMs running freeRouter on cloud?

Subject: Rare project developers

[rare-dev] How to put two VMs running freeRouter on cloud?

  • From: Edgard da Cunha Pontes <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [rare-dev] How to put two VMs running freeRouter on cloud?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 14:40:53 -0300

Hi everyone!

I'm running an experiment with freeRouter on two locally connected Debian10 VMs. The test environment is an OpenStack cloud in the Ufes lab.

I made an image to illustrate my question:

image.png

I did the complete installation of freeRouter in a local VM, by the command: wget freertr.net/install.sh ; sudo bash install.sh, to parse the hardware configuration file (rtr-hw.txt), but I still couldn't fully understand.

Based on this configuration, I created a similar file on the Remote VM (OpenStack), which is in the image above. It's worth noting that I downloaded the rtr.jar and rtr.tar files, and placed them in the /rtr directory. In addition to unpacking the rtr.tar in that directory.

When I run the command: java -jar /rtr/rtr.jar routersc /rtr/rtr-hw.txt /rtr/rtr-sw.txt on VM01, the freeRouter starts normally, but the SSH connection with the Remote VM is terminated.

I was using pcapInt.bin on the local VM to have external connectivity (8.8.8.8), but I was not sure if this is the best way to configure the hardware for this experiment.