rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] How to put two VMs running freeRouter on cloud?

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] How to put two VMs running freeRouter on cloud?

  • From: Simon Leinen <>
  • To: Edgard da Cunha Pontes <>
  • Cc: Frédéric LOUI <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] How to put two VMs running freeRouter on cloud?
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 15:10:58 +0200

Edgard da Cunha Pontes writes:
> Hi Frédéric!
> Wow! Seems like a lot of work to me.

> I hope this doesn't happen on OpenStack.

I'm not sure what exactly is meant by "this", but:

In general, OpenStack implicitly imposes a form of "port security" on
network ports for VMs. In particular, there are "allowed address pairs"
(combinations of L2/L3 addresses, i.e. Ethernet MAC and IPv4/IPv6
addresses) based on what the OpenStack controllers have assigned to the
port/VM, and packets with other address combinations will usually get
dropped. This protects against spoofing and other kinds of abuse, and
is generally what you want/need in multi-tenant environments (what
OpenStack was developed for). But it easily gets in the way when you
want to use VMs as routers or similar.

Given the necessary privileges, you can either configure additional
"allowed address pairs" as required, or completely disable port
security, for the ports in question.
--
Simon.