rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] How to put two VMs running freeRouter on cloud?

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] How to put two VMs running freeRouter on cloud?

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: Edgard da Cunha Pontes <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] How to put two VMs running freeRouter on cloud?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 13:57:23 +0200

hi,

On 3/30/22 13:38, Edgard da Cunha Pontes wrote:
*1) if i understand you correctly, you have connectivity on the first vm, and
we have to narrow the connectivity of the second vm?*
Exactly! But I would like to do this using rawInt.bin rather than pcapInt.bin. Is this possible and does it make any sense? I would like to know what is the difference between the two methods.
yess, they have the same parameter format so they're drop-in replacement of
each other...
the main difference in between them is that rawint does not depend on libpcap
but opens a raw linux socket to the interface...
and since it does't do the extra work for the vlan headers, and linux strips
them, so it cannot receive dot1q frames...
to be precise, it receives them but freerouter cannot see the vlan header and
will deliver them to he main interface...
this rawint anyway is a historical piece of code back in the days when the
prebuilt eve-ng images had no extra libs installed...
and if we mentioned history, before any of these, i used "socat iface:eth0
udp:1235:127.0.0.1:1234" to have the packets... :)
and finally, just for reference, they're all there:
https://github.com/mc36/freeRouter/tree/master/misc/native

*2) can you check if you have packets received on the failing vm? (sho int
eth1)*
I'm not getting any packages as I'm not using pcapInt.bin. I tried to do it
differently this time.

anyway, if you started rawint then it should also dispatch the packets
anyway...

*3) can you check if the pcapint reached a stable state? (sho proc ext)*
I'm not using it (pcapInt.bin) in the cloud experiment (at least not yet). If I find that it's not worth going this way (rawInt.bin) I'll use it or do the full installation suggested on the freeRouter website.

imho the best you can do is the one-line installed and let it deal with the
interfaces with libpcap...

br,
cs