edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Locations for 'local' eduGAIN metadata

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Locations for 'local' eduGAIN metadata

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: Niels van Dijk <niels.vandijk AT surfnet.nl>, edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Locations for 'local' eduGAIN metadata
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 07:50:04 +0100

Hi Niels,
  we took it into account that there may be multiple federations, this is why the identifiers have a country possibly followed by a dash and more letters (but we could also allow numbers if this becomes reasonable). If we ever get a federation which is a multinational, the we can give it an EDU code or whatever. For the time being and for the current eduGAIN needs the country codes are good enough and simple to use.  Federation operator names and federation names change. One operator may run multiple federations etc.
Since yesterday, pages like http://technical.edugain.org/federation_entities.php?type=sp&code=CH get a title and this uses the federation name rather then a country.

I do not think that it is really important what the codes are, they are for building static links, not something that a user is supposed to guess. If needed, I can publish a code mapping somewhere.

Tomasz

--
Tomasz Wolniewicz
          twoln AT umk.pl        http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uczelniane Centrum Informatyczne   Information&Communication Technology Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika     Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun               pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750     fax: +48-56-622-1850       tel kom.: +48-693-032-576