cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] eduroamCAT for android without Pay Store

Re: [[cat-users]] eduroamCAT for android without Pay Store

  • From: Daniele Albrizio <albrizio AT univ.trieste.it>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] eduroamCAT for android without Pay Store
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 14:04:35 +0100

On 27/01/2016 07:50, Stefan Winter wrote:
The version of the app that is currently on beta uses the Play Services
API for location services - it suggests IdPs near you as a convenience.
Of course on phones without PS available, this feature will be somewhat
broken. I don't know if our developer has safegaurds against this in the
code, but now it would be a good time to check. (As always, I'm happy to
be corrected by Gareth :-) )

Getting things like location is a bit difficult - we need "coarse"
location only, and do not want to trigger GPS avtication etc. because
it's just not important enough. IIRC, Play Services has some sort of
"casual" mode and that's what we use. If you feel like doing that nice
little project of replacing this - feel free to contribute code once we
are on the public SVN.

I'm a little bit off-topic here, but alternative ways to select home institution without location would be very appreciated.
Geoip or direct search on home institution name or realm (SAML Discovery services-like) would facilitate users not familiar with activating gps or inside buildings without gps and gsm coverage (such bunkers are quite frequesnt in research facilities).

Also (but this is less important/useful) using google play we had problems in opening ACLs on our setup network walled garden since Google Play uses CDN's to deliver apks around using ever-changing IPs. Hosting apks on some terena one-ip server would mitigate this behaviour altough the majority of users has third party software installs disabled on their phone.

--
Daniele ALBRIZIO -
albrizio AT univ.trieste.it