cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] eduroamCAT for android without Pay Store

Re: [[cat-users]] eduroamCAT for android without Pay Store

  • From: Ayres G.J. <g.j.ayres AT swansea.ac.uk>
  • To: Ralf Jung <jung AT mpi-sws.org>
  • Cc: "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>, Alan Buxey <A.L.M.Buxey AT lboro.ac.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] eduroamCAT for android without Pay Store
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 22:42:55 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US

On 26 Jan 2016 9:52 p.m., Ralf Jung <jung AT mpi-sws.org> wrote:

> >> I kind of assume the App is open-source (otherwise, I'd have to
> >> seriously re-consider using it), so compiling it from source would be a
> >
> > again...why?
>
> I believe going open-source would make the application better. I can't
> even count the number of times I fixed a small bug in one of the
> open-source applications I used, just because it annoyed me enough to be
> worth spending a few hours on it. The usual open-source workflow with a
> bugtracker etc. also makes it generally easier to even communicate
> issues to the developers.
>
> Furthermore, I've seen enough closed-source applications deliberately
> operating against the users interest that my default trust level in
> closed-source software is fairly low. This is even more true for "free"
> (as in free beer) closed-source software, where I wonder what it is the
> developers are trying to protect (or hide?).
>
> I take it from your reply that eduroamCAT is proprietary software?
> That's, honestly, very surprising. The typical approach in academia and
> education (at least from what I saw during my CS studies) is to do stuff
> in the open, and as far as I know eduroam is not run as a for-profit. I
> can't even see a reason to keep the sources protected.

Hi Ralph. I  am the android app developer.

The eduroamCAT android app is open source and released under the Apache 2.0 licence . The code is available on the GEANT SVN.

The app does not use any Play services and should work for you. Although I've never tested your configuration myself.

The latest APK is on SVN and available for direct download. Or you can compile it with Android Studio.

I'm on my phone now so dont have links to hand. I'll forward them to you tomorrow when I return to work.

Gareth.