cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] eduroamCAT for android without Pay Store

Re: [[cat-users]] eduroamCAT for android without Pay Store

  • From: Ralf Jung <jung AT mpi-sws.org>
  • To: Alan Buxey <A.L.M.Buxey AT lboro.ac.uk>, "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] eduroamCAT for android without Pay Store
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 17:39:40 +0100

Hi,

>> Here's the short version ;-) though I doubt you did not year these
>> arguments before.
>
> just use a fake name/account ;-)

As far as I know, I have to actually put this account into the global,
Android-wide account system for Play Store to use it. Fake data doesn't
really help, as the locations and usage habits it is going to see are
certainly real.

That aside, I tried multiple times to create a Google account with fake
credentials, and every single time they said that "for security
reasons", they need my mobile number, and then sent an SMS there to
verify it was real. "security", sure...

>> No, I am using CM. Stock Android comes with Google *and* the vendor
>
> I dont trust Cyanogen myself ;-)

Fair enough. I'm not entirely happy with this either - I mentioned that
I made some compromises ;-) . I certainly trust them more than I trust
Google, though. YMMV.

All I am asking for is for everybody be able to make this decision for
themselves, instead of forcing people into trusting a particular entity.

Kind regards,
Ralf