rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] Integration of the release manager

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] Integration of the release manager

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: Alexander Gall <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] Integration of the release manager
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 17:04:52 +0200

hi,

On 4/6/22 16:46, Alexander Gall wrote:
https://github.com/mc36/freeRouter/commit/106dc976b7604c1a45fb62dd3c0691da74e93f38

Thanks. Why do we need the sleep(10)? It's pretty inconvenient.

so the idea here is that i did not wanted to keep track of the threads,
whereas ensuring a single exit point from the code... the ending of the
c code there only relays the stdio of the new process, and to be pretty
sure that the code exits at the first appearance of return status; that's
why i put it there... (an other option would be to use barriers, i know:))

Maybe I'm missing something, but why don't you simply perform the
wait() after exiting the loop? Then there would be no need to sleep
and no need for the additional fork, I think.

so at that point, i exited the loop because select returned with hup,
i have good chances that the child already terminated so i cannot catch
the exit code....

I think that's not correct. wait() also works if the child has already
terminated. From wait(2):

If a child has already changed state, then these calls return immediately

And you should get the proper exit status in that case as well.

so if the man tells then it must be true, and really, it works this way so
here we go:
https://github.com/mc36/freeRouter/commit/232fa5a0f0ce61b7499aaa968c02d120bb035107

that's why the new thread... regarding the sleep(10)
at the end, it's just a safety and but probably 10 is a bit overkill...
lemme reduce that to 1 too.... :)

No sleep at all should be fine.

afterall, since we called for waitpid, yeahh, also true....
(but i just read this part of the mail so it'll be in a next commit...)

br,
cs