rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] Integration of the release manager

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] Integration of the release manager

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: Alexander Gall <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] Integration of the release manager
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 14:37:06 +0200

hi,

On 4/6/22 11:42, Alexander Gall wrote:

Thanks, but one more thing to fix: ptyRun.bin does not return the exit
status of the process it's forking (it should also return a status >0
if the execvp() call fails). Can you please add that? I have to use
the pty wrapper because I'm adding a Y/N query to the tna-set-profile
and tna-switch-to-generation scripts to have the user confirm the
action.

with this change:
https://github.com/mc36/freeRouter/commit/106dc976b7604c1a45fb62dd3c0691da74e93f38

i see this:

mc36@noti:/safe/binTmp$ ./ptyRun.bin /usr/bin/date ; echo $?
child 1374969 created on 3
child started
Wed Apr 6 02:27:23 PM CEST 2022

child closed stdio lines

child exited with 0 code
0
mc36@noti:/safe/binTmp$ ./ptyRun.bin /usr/bin/date -asdf ; echo $?
child 1374981 created on 3
child started
/usr/bin/date: invalid option -- 'a'
Try '/usr/bin/date --help' for more information.

child closed stdio lines

child exited with 256 code
1
mc36@noti:/safe/binTmp$

BTW, why did you chose to write ptyRun as a separate tool rather than
creating another variant of the shell{1,2,3} things?

so the thing is that freerouter tries to be os independent...
basically i mention nowhere "sh" nor "/bin" and so on...
then, in java, they had not such a concept like pty...
as far as i know it's exclusive to unixes, or maybe just linux?
finally, i'm sure that there is a ptyprocessfactory out there but
freerouter tries to be dependency free, especially for such a small things...

br,
cs