rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] Integration of the release manager

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] Integration of the release manager

  • From: Alexander Gall <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] Integration of the release manager
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 11:12:56 +0200

On Fri, 1 Apr 2022 16:42:24 +0200, mc36 <> said:

> On 4/1/22 16:23, Alexander Gall wrote:
>> Hi csaba
>>
>> As you've already seen, I have completed a first attempt at
>> integrating the release manager with freerouter
>> (https://bitbucket.software.geant.org/projects/RARE/repos/rare-nix/commits/dab3443cf73dd26a554f1a4a94b5f757ca2b452b)
>> The service reconfiguration from within the freerouter service is a
>> little bit tricky but it should be ok, I think. Basically, the
>> tna-switch-to-generation alias doesn't do the switch immediatley but
>> delays it until the next restart of the service.
> what about adding "alias exec tna-switch-to-generation cmd2nd reload warm" ?
> (the rationale here is that once someone issued this, there is the
> intent...:)

There is a slight problem with the cmd2nd mechanism, because it is run
unconditionally after the main command. The problem is that the main
command can fail when the user enters a non-existent profile name. The
main command can also be called without argument and then prints
information about which RARE generation will be activated at the next
restart. In both cases, we obviously don't want to perform a warm
start.

What you could do is to make the execution of the cmd2nd depend on the
exit status of the main command. What do you think?

--
Alex