rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] Integration of the release manager

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] Integration of the release manager

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: Alexander Gall <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] Integration of the release manager
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 16:42:24 +0200

hi,

On 4/1/22 16:23, Alexander Gall wrote:
Hi csaba

As you've already seen, I have completed a first attempt at
integrating the release manager with freerouter
(https://bitbucket.software.geant.org/projects/RARE/repos/rare-nix/commits/dab3443cf73dd26a554f1a4a94b5f757ca2b452b)
The service reconfiguration from within the freerouter service is a
little bit tricky but it should be ok, I think. Basically, the
tna-switch-to-generation alias doesn't do the switch immediatley but
delays it until the next restart of the service.
what about adding "alias exec tna-switch-to-generation cmd2nd reload warm" ?
(the rationale here is that once someone issued this, there is the intent...:)

Can you please use PRs while we both work on this repo so we don't
keep overwriting each other's changes? I don't think we should put
the GEANT_TESTBED profile into the default configuration since this is
what ends up on a fresh ONIE installation and it should not be
specific to our testbed.

feel free to change that to PE then...
but one thing, keep the sticky konb with a parameter in the startup,
that's the trigger that makes it really sticky... :)

Is the sticky alias guaranteed to be executed before the external
processes are started? If so, we can remove the default
/etc/freertr/p4-profile file from the ONIE installer. If not, I guess
we can still let the alias create the file and accept that there will
be a couple of failed starts of the bfswd and bffwd processes until
the file exists.

so there is a guarantee that the processes will be started before any
startup config get parsed because we're running them from the -hw.txt...
anyway we can remove the default from the onie installer because there
is a guarantee that when the startup parser reaches the aliases, it'll
execute the sticky one exactly once so the file will be regenerated
at every time freerouter boots up...

When changing the profile, it would be enough to restart the bfswd and
bffwd processes, but this currently fails for bfswd. That's because
the process has several subprocesses and "reload process ... stop"
does not kill them. The top-level script start_bfswd.sh is the leader
of a new process group, so it would be enough to kill that group. Can
you please modify the reload procedure so it either kills the group
(but only if the process is the group leader) or kills all
subprocesses explicitly?

okk, i'll do so...

br,
cs