rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] RARE/freeRtr Polka integration progress

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] RARE/freeRtr Polka integration progress

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: , "Rafael S. Guimaraes" <>
  • Cc: Rafael S. Guimarães <>, Cristina Klippel Dominicini <>
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] RARE/freeRtr Polka integration progress
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 15:16:25 +0100

hi,

On 3/26/21 2:27 PM, Rafael S. Guimaraes wrote:
Hi @Csaba,

Thanks for pointing that out. You are right! We have already done the data-
and control plane parts (bf_router.p4 and bf_forwarder.py).

excellent!

My question is: after successfully compiling on those platforms (BMv2, Tofino, and DPDK), what should the next steps be? Can I drop a pull-request to the main repository, or must we use a different branch, the "polka" one, as an example? We freeze the P4 SDE version 9.4.0 in our deployment phase.

it depends....

if you would 'handle over' (abandon) the current work as is, then go with a
single pull-req...
we'll move forward as sde95 appears soon, in that case, we'll who will ensure
that it
compiles and passes the tests in the future....

if you already have that repo somewhere, you can still make the pull-reqs when
you change a thing here & there.... but i'll be trickier to keep them in
sync....

alternatively if you plan to support polka in long run @ rare/freertr then we
can
arrange you rw access to the main repos after the initial pull-req & merge
then
both of us will patch the stuff: as freertr internal apis evolve then i'll
easily
move forward and update your forwarder parts also, then update the api
messages
and the dpdk & p4 code if needed... and if you change your mind then you'll
also
be able to change these parts....

Thanks for providing some hints about the Freertr development step. It is
the part of the integration that we did have no clue on how to proceed.

so if i understand you correctly, you already have something that works!
at least, in p4... and if i understand you correctly, you already have some
bfforwarder.py messages that program the dataplanes...
on top of these, it's hard to write a self test imho, we'll need the pure
java version implementing the forwarding... to have something that can be
tested against itself, and then to test the dataplane vms against that...

if you could point me to your repo, then i can have some more idea on how to
proceed...

thanks,
cs

Kind regards,
Rafael

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 at 10:59, mc36 < <>> wrote:

hi,

On 3/25/21 1:51 PM, Rafael S. Guimaraes wrote:

> @Csaba, feel free to contact me any time!

at the moment all i know is that sent on this public mailing and my own
research (your paper from doi search engines:))

knowing these, you should have come up with a p4 dataplane integration
into
- http://sources.nop.hu/misc/p4lang/ <http://sources.nop.hu/misc/p4lang/>
for bmv2
- http://sources.nop.hu/misc/p4bf/ <http://sources.nop.hu/misc/p4bf/> for
tofino
- http://sources.nop.hu/misc/native/ <http://sources.nop.hu/misc/native/>
for dpdk/libpcap
if i understand flou's words correctly, you're done with some of that
already:)
and you should have to proceed with the configuration parts...
some hints here are how
- rsvp-te http://sources.nop.hu/src/clnt/clntMplsTeP2p.java
<http://sources.nop.hu/src/clnt/clntMplsTeP2p.java>,
- sr-te http://sources.nop.hu/src/clnt/clntMplsSr.java
<http://sources.nop.hu/src/clnt/clntMplsSr.java>,
- srv6 http://sources.nop.hu/src/clnt/clntSrExt.java
<http://sources.nop.hu/src/clnt/clntSrExt.java>
implemented in freertr to have the similar config interface for polka.
also to automate the dataplane testing, it would be nice if you could
come up with a pure java forwarder, hint here how nsh/mpls done:
http://sources.nop.hu/src/ip/ipMpls.java
<http://sources.nop.hu/src/ip/ipMpls.java>

if you have any questions or something to commit to,
feel free to drop over the fence and we'll see how to proceed... :)

thanks,
cs