rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] RARE/freeRtr Polka integration progress

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] RARE/freeRtr Polka integration progress

  • From: "Rafael S. Guimaraes" <>
  • To: mc36 <>
  • Cc: Rafael S. Guimarães <>, Cristina Klippel Dominicini <>,
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] [gn4-3-wp6-t1-wb-RARE] RARE/freeRtr Polka integration progress
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 10:27:57 -0300

Hi @Csaba,

Thanks for pointing that out. You are right! We have already done the data- and control plane parts (bf_router.p4 and bf_forwarder.py).

My question is: after successfully compiling on those platforms (BMv2, Tofino, and DPDK), what should the next steps be? Can I drop a pull-request to the main repository, or must we use a different branch, the "polka" one, as an example? We freeze the P4 SDE version 9.4.0 in our deployment phase.

Thanks for providing some hints about the Freertr development step. It is the part of the integration that we did have no clue on how to proceed.

Kind regards,
Rafael

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 at 10:59, mc36 <> wrote:
hi,

On 3/25/21 1:51 PM, Rafael S. Guimaraes wrote:

> @Csaba, feel free to contact me any time!

at the moment all i know is that sent on this public mailing and my own research (your paper from doi search engines:))

knowing these, you should have come up with a p4 dataplane integration into
- http://sources.nop.hu/misc/p4lang/ for bmv2
- http://sources.nop.hu/misc/p4bf/ for tofino
- http://sources.nop.hu/misc/native/ for dpdk/libpcap
if i understand flou's words correctly, you're done with some of that already:)
and you should have to proceed with the configuration parts...
some hints here are how
- rsvp-te http://sources.nop.hu/src/clnt/clntMplsTeP2p.java,
- sr-te http://sources.nop.hu/src/clnt/clntMplsSr.java,
- srv6 http://sources.nop.hu/src/clnt/clntSrExt.java
implemented in freertr to have the similar config interface for polka.
also to automate the dataplane testing, it would be nice if you could
come up with a pure java forwarder, hint here how nsh/mpls done:
http://sources.nop.hu/src/ip/ipMpls.java

if you have any questions or something to commit to,
feel free to drop over the fence and we'll see how to proceed... :)

thanks,
cs