edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Question about federations' IdP members

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Question about federations' IdP members

  • From: Guy Halse <guy AT tenet.ac.za>
  • To: Valeriu Vraciu <valeriu AT roedu.net>, <edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Question about federations' IdP members
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 15:32:49 +0200

Hi

On 2021/11/17 21:16, Valeriu Vraciu wrote:
We have a request to join eduGain as an IdP from an accredited by the Ministry of Education private university, with which we did not have any relation (until this request). They are not connected to our network and do not use any service from us, so first reaction seems to be a no go. Any information regarding how other federations deal with such cases can help us to decide further.
Our policy does not cover this case, maybe an update will be worth too.

When we built our federation, I (fortunately) predicted this case because we'd seen it in eduroam.

The way we handle it is by defining eligibility to join the federation in terms of eligibility to use the broader suite of NREN services, rather than requiring that those services be taken up. Obviously we'd like to be a network provider. But that approach means it is possible to join the federation but not buy bandwidth from us, so long as you would be allow to buy bandwidth if you wanted to.

At the moment we have one such member in the federation. The only services they consume from us are federation and eduroam. We have a separate billing model for that case.

Regards,

- Guy --
Guy Halse (TENET) Office: +27(21)763-7102 Fault Reporting: +27(21)763-7147 or support AT tenet.ac.za https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9388-8592