edugain-discuss - [eduGAIN-discuss] Question about federations' IdP members

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

[eduGAIN-discuss] Question about federations' IdP members

  • From: Valeriu Vraciu <valeriu AT roedu.net>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: [eduGAIN-discuss] Question about federations' IdP members
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 21:16:54 +0200
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 mail.roedu.net E23B0472FF85
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 mail.roedu.net 0E6A2472FF83

Hello,

Please help us understand and act the best possible way in the following matter, maybe there are/were similar cases in other federations:

EduGain is a service supported by GEANT, gathering identity federations established mainly by NRENs, so a reasonable conclusion is that beneficiary IdP institutions are members of NRENs or have some sort of relation with NREN. Please correct me if it is a wrong assumption.

We have a request to join eduGain as an IdP from an accredited by the Ministry of Education private university, with which we did not have any relation (until this request). They are not connected to our network and do not use any service from us, so first reaction seems to be a no go. Any information regarding how other federations deal with such cases can help us to decide further.
Our policy does not cover this case, maybe an update will be worth too.

Best wishes,
Valeriu.

--
Valeriu Vraciu