edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] isFederated Check Service now shows eduGAIN Coverage of federations

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] isFederated Check Service now shows eduGAIN Coverage of federations

  • From: Lukas Hämmerle <lukas.haemmerle AT switch.ch>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org, Tom Scavo <trscavo AT internet2.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] isFederated Check Service now shows eduGAIN Coverage of federations
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 09:10:37 +0200

Hi Tom

On 09.08.16 20:35, Tom Scavo wrote:
> This is great! I can use this page to push for 100% adoption in
> InCommon.

As Nicole correctly noted, 100% adoption might not be desirable but
getting close to 100% probably still is a good idea :-)

> - The phrase "Organisations/Identity Providers" is not relevant to
> InCommon since orgs are allowed to have multiple IdPs. In any case,
> the two are not equivalent. Historically, conflating the two has led
> to widespread misuse of md:OrganizationDisplayName.

So far I have been only aware of the opposite situation where multiple
organisations have one IdP (is the case in some H&S federations).
Therefore, the organisations-IdP relationship is a tricky one in
general. Do you have an idea of how many organisations in InCommon
operate several IdPs and how many such organisations operate? I'm just
wondering why an organisation would invest the effort to operate
multiple IdPs (unless one is for test and one is for production)

> - Can you add a column that gives the number of IdPs exported to
> eduGAIN (for comparison)?

Yes, with some additional coding this could be done. As there probably
is no public list yet containing this information on one single page,
this might indeed be valuable.

> - Can you add a row of totals at the bottom?

What would you be most interested in? Just calculating the total would
be easy but in case you are interested in the total number of (unique)
IdPs in production federations, this would not be the total of the above
columns (some IdPs probably are in multiple federations).

> If the answer is yes to the latter two questions, you can remove the
> "eduGAIN" row from the table.

Good idea. I have been considering to remove the eduGAIN row anyway. So,
I'll add this to the todo list.

Best Regards
Lukas

--