edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

  • From: Steven Carmody <steven_carmody AT brown.edu>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 09:55:32 -0500

On 11/28/14 1:16 PM, Nicole Harris wrote:
So what I seem to be hearing here are the following actions:

1. REFEDS to look at an "academic IdP" EC and possibly a "public
sign-up" EC (quick before Leif finds some more!).

I just encountered a use case relevant to the discussion of an "academic IDP", and the attributes it could assert about individuals.

One of the research centers here at Brown has just started a multi-year project (Center for the Study of Slavery and Justice; http://brown.edu/initiatives/slavery-and-justice/ ). They currently have eight partners -- the Smithsonian Museum (a member of InCommon), five museums in Europe, and two museums in Africa. The project expects to produce a body of academic papers, and an exhibit that will tour the world.

I'd suggest that all of the partners might qualify, in some way, for being described as "academic IDPs". However, it appears that none of the European museums are Federation members. I was recently pointed to
http://www.europeana.eu/ , which also seems to exist outside of the Higher Ed world.

Previous postings have mentioned partnerships with research departments in commercial organizations. I'd suggest that we'll soon be presented with a growing set of situations where researchers on campuses are working with researchers based in organizations other than campuses. In many of these cases, I believe the joint work could easily be called "academic work".