edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

  • From: Rhys Smith <Rhys.Smith AT jisc.ac.uk>
  • To: Leif Johansson <leifj AT SUNET.SE>
  • Cc: "edugain-discuss AT geant.net" <edugain-discuss AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 10:24:11 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US

> On 28 Nov 2014, at 20:48, Leif Johansson <leifj AT SUNET.SE> wrote:
>
>> I don't see a way that IDPs such as ProtectNetwork or even "outsourced"
>> IDPs that are run on behalf of both universities and schools could
>> possibly carry any of the ECs proposed today.
>
> An outsourced IdPs could certainly carry the academic EC - the
> requirement would have to be that the organization running the IdP
> has a certain property.

Well, the organisation(s) that the IdP is representing, rather than the org
that is running the IdP.

About 1/3 or more of UKfed IdPs are outsourced to commercial providers. That
means that not allowing outsourced IdPs to carry an academic EC would mean
that >200 UK universities and colleges aren’t allowed to call themselves
“academic”. Which would be interesting.

Rhys.

Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by
guarantee which is registered in England under Company No. 5747339, VAT No.
GB 197 0632 86. Jisc’s registered office is: One Castlepark, Tower Hill,
Bristol, BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.

Jisc Collections and Janet Ltd. is a wholly owned Jisc subsidiary and a
company limited by guarantee which is registered in England under Company No.
number 2881024, VAT No. GB 197 0632 86. The registered office is: Lumen
House, Library Avenue, Harwell, Didcot, Oxfordshire, OX11 0SG. T 01235 822200.