edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] opt-out federations promoting opt-out

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] opt-out federations promoting opt-out

  • From: Ian Young <ian AT iay.org.uk>
  • To: Glenn Wearen <glenn.wearen AT heanet.ie>
  • Cc: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] opt-out federations promoting opt-out
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 10:14:31 +0000

(resending... airport wifi problems)

> On 1 Dec 2014, at 08:20, Glenn Wearen <glenn.wearen AT heanet.ie> wrote:
>
> However, I’ve looked at a few of these services and accessing them takes
> you straight NCL’s IdP with no DS, furthermore you can judge for yourself
> by the entityID’s that many of these are internal apps.

That seems fairly clear, thanks for looking into it.

> Are Federations encouraging institutions to take their private services out
> of eduGAIN where the federation operates on the opt-out model?

On the UKf side, we haven't made a recommendation like that yet, although I
agree it's worth at least considering. We don't encourage the registration of
local entities in general, but we haven't gone as far as actively
discouraging it either, and that might be a cleaner approach all round. A lot
will depend on why local entities are being registered at the federation
level, and to find that out I think we'll need to talk to the institutions
concerned.

-- Ian