edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] opt-out federations promoting opt-out

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] opt-out federations promoting opt-out

  • From: Tom Scavo <trscavo AT internet2.edu>
  • To: Olivier Salaün <olivier.salaun AT renater.fr>
  • Cc: "edugain-discuss AT geant.net" <edugain-discuss AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] opt-out federations promoting opt-out
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 11:49:10 -0500

Hi Olivier,

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Olivier Salaün
<olivier.salaun AT renater.fr> wrote:

> We have an opt-out policy regarding eduGAIN participation for French IdPs
> only.
> SPs have to explicitely request their participation to eduGAIN (opt-in).
>
> It made sense not to bring all SPs in eduGAIN because most SPs don't have
> international end users and also their eduGAIN-enabling requires a bit more
> effort than required by an IdP admin.

I don't disagree with that strategy (in fact, it makes a lot of sense)
but could you expand a bit on the effort required by SP owners? Seems
all one would have to do is filter on an entity attribute to keep
global IdPs hidden on the discovery interface. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Tom