edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] opt-out federations promoting opt-out

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] opt-out federations promoting opt-out

  • From: Tom Scavo <trscavo AT internet2.edu>
  • To: "edugain-discuss AT geant.net" <edugain-discuss AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] opt-out federations promoting opt-out
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 11:06:59 -0500

Thanks for the info, Olivier and Glenn.

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 10:06 AM, Glenn Wearen <glenn.wearen AT heanet.ie> wrote:

> We provide a single feed to our members, it is filtered in much the same
> way as Olivier has described, it also filters out irrelevant entities (i.e.
> private entities from other institutions), but as I said, I’ve no way of
> filtering such entities that emanate from eduGAIN

We don't currently have a way for consumers to filter eduGAIN metadata
either, but we have a plan to add an entity attribute to every
InCommon entity descriptor precisely for that purpose. If we can do
that, there's no need to provide a new set of aggregates.

Olivier's point is well taken, however: aggregates are growing and
eventually we'll hit a wall. It seems that per-entity metadata is the
eventual solution to this problem so it makes sense to bite the bullet
now (if possible) and suitably annotate entity descriptors so that
consumers can distinguish the metadata source. With per-entity
metadata, that is going to be a hard requirement anyway, so this is
clearly a case of: "Pay me now or pay me later." :-)

Tom