edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs

  • From: Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN and non "academic" IdPs
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 12:40:31 +0100

* Martin Matthiesen <martin.matthiesen AT csc.fi> [2014-12-01 10:19]:
> But I don't see the commercial aspect here as the problem, rather
> the question on how users get accounts, which is a bit unclear to
> me. If it is really "public sign up" and the level of assurance is
> thus zero, I don't see why anyone would want to have it, with or
> without EC. In Clarin we have a similar IdP for homeless users, but
> have not registered that to eduGAIN for good reasons. I understand
> Protect Network is IdP outsourcing, which makes a lot of sense.

I have occasionally heard from CLARIN about their interest in higher
LOA but then why doesn't CLARIN even use/document eduPersonAffiliation?
>From all discussions I had about CLARIN Dienter clearly stated that
they don't require /any/ affilition value (so this is different from
the Fin-Clarin example you gave which needs "faculty"), which arguably
would be the quickest way to weed out any unwanted accounts (i.e.,
those that do not have any ePA/ePSA values at all).

> I am not very familiar with eduGAIN legalese, but I would assume
> that non-academic IdPs are not allowed to set eduPerson*?

eduGAIN does not make any statements to that regard (as eduGAIN is not
in charge of the eduPerson specification or how it is applied
throughout the world; and of course eduGAIN does not have a
classification of IDPs into 'academic' and 'non-academic' so clearly
there is no way to say which IDPs would be allowed and which not), but
even ignoring eduGAIN's role in this I asked the same question before:

* Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at> [2014-11-28 13:37]:
> Which of the defined eduPersonAffiliation values are "academic" users
> to you? And to someone else, somewhere else? What about subjects
> without an affiliation from an "doubtlessly academic" IDP? What about
> faculty AT research.example.com where example.com is a commercial
> ("private") company? Are those even allowed to have such affiliations?

We could ask the MACE-Dir folks what they think about that.
-peter