cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] [External] Re: Redesign cat.eduroam.org to solve bad user experience?

Re: [[cat-users]] [External] Re: Redesign cat.eduroam.org to solve bad user experience?

  • From: Hunter Fuller <hf0002 AT uah.edu>
  • To: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • Cc: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] [External] Re: Redesign cat.eduroam.org to solve bad user experience?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 16:27:17 -0500

Tomasz,

I like the approach you alluded to - linking directly to the
installers, etc. The problem is I'm not sure how to do it, or what
methods are supported. Is there documentation about this?

We too have had a lot of issues with the CAT page and specifically the
Android and Chromebook ones since they pop up a bunch of tiny text and
there is a "Continue" button. People usually think a lot of tiny text
is a license agreement or terms of service, so they ignore it and
click "Continue." Then their system downloads a file and they don't
know what to do with it so they open a ticket.

We do have a good relationship with our Office of Marketing and
Communications, so we can have them design our page. And so we would
already be linking directly to the installer but the problem is that
the URL bar does not change if you select an OS in CAT. So we don't
know how to do this. It seems bad to deep link to a download with a
long URL that could change at any time. And I don't see this listed
anywhere as a supported method, so as far as I know, it could change
tomorrow. Is there a summary of how to do this in a supported way?

--
Hunter Fuller (they)
Router Jockey

Office of Information Technology