cat-users - RE: [[cat-users]] CAT \ Google Play domains

RE: [[cat-users]] CAT \ Google Play domains

  • From: Gerrard Shaw <GShaw AT havering-college.ac.uk>
  • To: Alan Buxey <alan.buxey AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: RE: [[cat-users]] CAT \ Google Play domains
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 12:07:13 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Hi Alan,

From our Aruba monitoring stats it’s a very strong iPhone population, at last count around 70% of all devices so no problem there. However of those devices which see use in the classroom (as opposed to lots of Snapchat \ Instagram in recreational time) it’s more laptops, which are the ones I need to make sure can get connected without any access to 4G. HE students tend to BYOD with laptops more so than FE from my anecdotal observations (we’re primarily a 16-18 college with some HE provision as well).

Unfortunately we’ve never been able to get budget for an onboarding solution so had to build with component parts (NPS, customised Aruba controller functionality rather than ClearPass etc.) so we’d be using CAT as our primary method of setting up devices for Eduroam.

Am I correct in understanding that as long as roaming users had an eduroam profile of some sort set up on their device they should just connect automatically, regardless of which product created the profile in the first place?

Ø  So many places seem to work on random assumptions and plan around loads of 'what ifs' rather than doing some decent user surveys

and finding out what solution they do need on site and balance priorities and solution accordingly :)

Ours tends to work on what we can do that doesn’t involve spending money at the moment (!) We’ve tried surveys a few times but response levels haven’t been great, again I guess a product of the environment as much as anything.

Appreciate the input, it’s good to hear real-world feedback on how the product is used once released “in the wild” as it were.

Regards,

Gerrard